Wednesday 10 September 2008

JACK KETCHUM

I mentioned this writer briefly just recently. Some of his books have been adapted for films that we have yet to see (and maybe never will), and another one is about to be.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to track down his books in any local stores yet, but I may have a bit more luck next week when I hit Sydney for a break.

In the meantime,
this interview with Ketchum at Evolver continues to have me intrigued about the man and especially keen to become acquainted with his works. Especially this bit …

“I've never been interested in being politically or socially correct. That's not to say I frequently vomit into someone's lap at parties. It just seems silly to me to abide by any more rules than those you absolutely need in order to get by. I think we've become more and more neurotic in the years since I was in my twenties and thirties. We're afraid of everything. We want to restrict everything and manage it. Well, life isn't terribly manageable. The frequency of natural disasters ought to be enough to tell us that. But somehow we don't get it. When I was a kid the idea of putting on a helmet to ride a bike would have gotten you laughed out of the neighborhood - and rightly so. And I don't remember anybody wearing one against all those riot-sticks during the Vietnam protests either. It would be nice to live long enough to see the world get some guts again - but I don't think it's going to happen, sorry to say.”

Groupthink. I has one.

No comments: